Thursday, July 17, 2008

Press Release Experiment: Part II

Please read my post, Press Release Experiment: Part 1, for the background on my experiment.

Just to recap...Thursday, July 3, I set out on a mission to follow a press release that I generated for my business. I wanted to see how fast it travelled through the Internet via news wires, RSS feeds, blogs and more. I also wanted to see if one press release could generate any inquiries and eventually provide a return that I could measure against my investment. I released it to local Indianapolis-area media on my own, via email. I also released it to national/international media through PRWeb on July 7th.

As of 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 16th, the headline had appeared on 39,127 websites. Just on PRWeb alone, there were 426 full-page reads. The eBook version was downloaded 250 times. The PDF version was downloaded 36 times. And, 20 people downloaded the printer-friendly version.

That's 800 people who, on just PRWeb alone, has either read, downloaded or printed my press release. That's just one (1) website.

Today, my press release appears on nearly 500 business-related websites, blogs, and podcasts. I have even been quoted by newspapers and business publications in Europe and the United Kingdom. If I use PRWeb as a benchmark, which is very unscientific, and multiplied 500 sites that have posted my press release by 800, that's about 40,000 people that have read, downloaded or printed my release.

I can also track my website statistics. The average daily number of visitors to my website is nearly twelve times what it was prior to the press release distribution.

What I can't track are the newspapers, marketing journals, magazines, radio stations, television stations and other sources where my press release has been embraced and reported on.

Has my business benefited? Oh, yeah. I've received more than 60 emails from people I've never met, asking about my business. They've asked me to review their website. Two are sending me their marketing materials for review. Others want to know how much to budget for marketing and advertising. Others have asked about the benefits of blogging and podcasting. And, I've had a few asking me to help write press releases for their business.

I've had one on one appointments with three business owners in the Indianapolis area and scheduled another two.

I will tell you that, as I predicted, the number of reads has declined steadily over the past five days. Why? Because the headline is now getting buried in the news feeds. Also, my website hits are declining slightly.

This morning, a local real estate agent was curious how a press release could benefit her business. While she is impressed with my statistics, she didn't see how national or international exposure could be beneficial. First, a well-written release WILL get her local exposure. Secondly, people relocate. They are moving to the Indianapolis-area. Suppose that one person in Florida does a search for "Indianapolis Realtor" and her press release pops up in the top of the search engines. On that press release, they click on a link to that agent. They call her, schedule an appointment and buy a home. If that home is $400,000 and her commission is, say, $12,000 (3%), then she has just gotten a return that is more than 20 times her investment.

I'd say that's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

I'll continue to track my press release and provide updates. To track it on the Internet for yourself, go to any search engine and type in "BTK & Associates" (be sure to include the quotation marks).

For more information about how BTK & Associates can help you put together an effective press release marketing strategy, visit www.btkmarketing.com or call me at 317.696.6734.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, What a great story. As the platform trainer at PRWeb I tell people that this sort of thing CAN happen. I would like to know how you decided to use PRWeb in the first place? Have you sent out releases in the past and how do the results differ?
We use permission-marketing based distribution but that can not cover up poorly written content, it needs to be something that somebody wants to read. Well Done.

Mario 866.640.6397 3613

Brian Koning said...

Mario...except for the fact that my name is actually "Brian" and not "Bill", I sincerely appreciate your post.

I have distributed releases through PRWeb in the past. But, I really didn't track the results. This time, I paid a little more for targeted distribution to specific MSAs and professional titles.

The ability to embed my website URL helps with trackbacks.

I could not have produced and distributed a direct mail piece for the same cost and have gotten the same exposure, response,or ROI.

Distribution of press releases via the Internet can be huge for a business, regardless of budget. Today, many people automatically "Google" a person or a business to find out more about them. We're leaving our "electronic DNA" all over the place. If used the right way, we can leave a positive imprint for generations to come. I hope to add credibility to my skills and business.

I STRONGLY caution the average person against writing a press release. There's a formula involved. If it is not we'll written and doesn't actually say anything, it could hurt their business.

Use a professional (hopefully me)that understands how to write captivating headlines and supporting content. Using the proper format and structure are equally as important.

Thanks for the kudos!

Anonymous said...

Brian -

Like you, we're doing some experimenting and tracking of our Press Releases. We started on 30 June and are still working on analyzing the results. We're submitting to:

• www.dbusinessnews.com
• www.free-press-release-center.info
• www.google.com/base
• www.i-newswire.com
• www.openpr.com
• www.prlog.org
• www.pr-usa.net
• www.prweb.com
• www.przoom.com
• www.seenation.com

There are issues; it is a somewhat labor-intensive process (usually a couple of hours with the finished PR in Word and flat text versions open in front of you to copy from) since nearly each one wants a slightly different format; some want the contact info in the body, some separate, etc. So it's an ongoing learning process.

I find PRWeb perhaps the easiest to use and certainly the best in terms of tracking (but then it's also the most expensive - several are free; we usually use the $80 option on PRWeb).

Perhaps too early to get really good data on actual revenue benefits but so far we have seen more buzz from our customers and we just got a call to be interviewed on a national business show (don't know yet how they got our name but I suspect it was from our latest PR).

Stephen

Brian Koning said...

I've used others, as well. But,I look to see what other "model" businesses use. I watch about a half dozen businesses that I would like to model my business after. If I see them using something, I assume they've already done the due dilegence. All of those businesses use PRWeb.

Tracking return is not always easy. But, for me, I've had people either through email or phone calls reference my press relase.

Thanks for your input.