Sunday, August 31, 2008

Network or Multi-Level Marketing . . . Is it time?

To most people, any mention of Network Marketing or MLM (Multi-Level-Marketing) sends them running for cover. It's like garlic to a vampire; they don't want it near them -no how, no way. But, maybe in today's economy, it's time to add small doses of garlic to our financial diet.

I've tried them. Amway, Excel and a few others that I can't even remember. But that was years ago. I tapped into my friends, neighbors, co-workers and relatives; brow beating them until they either ex-communicated me or ultimately gave in to, as they called it, another "pyramid scheme". I swore off ever getting involved in another MLM opportunity...until now.

PLEASE READ THE REST OF THIS POSTING BEFORE YOU TELL ME I'M CRAZY!

After all, only the people that get in early make all of the money. The people at the bottom are left with closets-full of "product" such as soap, make-up, vitamins or long distance calling cards. Am I right? I've read the propaganda. I've been to the conventions. I've seen the countless pictures of a select few with the mongo huge houses, luxury cars, exotic vacations and unfathomable residual checks. They hypnotize and mesmerize us into staking our claim to that elusive pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It's another cult. It's big rallies with everyone but us up there on stage receiving those big payouts. I know I felt inadequate, got discouraged and eventually gave up.

But, that was all before the Internet really took hold and gave the MLM industry a powerful marketing tool.

MLM has changed in a BIG WAY!

TRADITIONAL BUSINESS MODEL?
Let's step back for a moment and look at the traditional business. As an entrepreneur, I have what I think is a great idea for a business. I invest thousands of dollars in product development, product testing, office space, utilities, employees, taxes, insurance, marketing, advertising and more. Then, I work my ass off prospecting and convincing others that they need my product or service. I pay my sales people (if I can afford them), to sell. Most importantly, I am gambling that my satisfied clients, without any incentive to do so, will tell others about my business and I will be able to convert them into clients. Those new clients will tell two people, who will tell two people, who will...you get the point. I'm hoping that word spreads about my business so far and wide that I...

...Wait a cotton pickin' minute! Doesn't that smell of multi-level marketing? People...tell people who... tell more people. Hmmm.

But something doesn't make sense. I'm spending my life savings or paying to use a bank's money, hoping to someday turn a profit without giving my clients an incentive, beyond maybe an occasional gift card, to help my business grow ? It's no wonder that about 80 percent of all new businesses fail within the first two years - and their owners find themselves in financial ruin.

The MLM Model
So, let's take another look at the MLM (also called Referral Marketing) way of doing business. I can buy in to a company that's already spent millions of dollars on product development and marketing. My initial investment is usually less than $100. Then, I agree to purchase a product or service that I'm either already using, or should be using because it offers a financial or health benefit. I now just buy it from myself at half the cost rather than buying it from a store at a huge markup. I make back my investment almost instantly. It's starting to make sense.

But wait, there's more good news. I can work out of my home and take advantage of the numerous tax breaks enjoyed by home-based businesses. I don't need to dress up, so now I've saved hundreds of dollars that I spend annually on business attire. So, I now instantly own a profitable business. And if I'm worried about how fast my MLM business will take to produce actual income...I can still work my full-time job. Sweet!

Next, I learn how to market my MLM business without cramming it down people's throats. I work the numbers and eventually peak their curiosity enough to get them to look at the opportunity. If they agree to start their own MLM business, then I get paid a commission on the product they purchase...as does the people above me. That's good ol' profit sharing...just like the big oil companies.

THE MIS-CONCEPTION
HALT! This is where most people get hung up. "You mean someone else is going to make money if I buy the product? That's not fair!"

So, "genius", what happens when you buy something from Wal-mart? You pay for a product, plus the cost of marketing, insurance, payroll, and more. And, you just aren't paying Wal-mart - you are paying the manufacturer, warehouse and distributor - all the way up the line. Wait...here's something else that you don't realize. When you tell your neighbor, friend, relative or co-worker about that great new toothpaste, laundry detergent, nutritional supplement or make-up, guess who's NOT getting paid? YOU! You just became a free advertisement! You DON'T get a paycheck. Now, THAT'S NOT FAIR!

TIME TO RECONSIDER?
This past couple of weeks, I've really started thinking about my own financial situation. I've started looking at MLM opportunities. Yes, that's opportunities - plural. There are no pie-in-the-sky expectations of reaching millionaire status in 60 days. But, let's just say that in addition to my current business, BTK & Associates, I conservatively generate $10,000 the first year and that doubles each year thereafter. In five years, that's $160,000. In 10 years, when I retire at age 55, that's a little more than $5,000,000 (a five with six zeroes behind it) per year.

NOW COMES THE I-FACTOR
The "I" is for Internet. Back in the day, once I had worked my way through my Rolodex, I was done, tapped out. I maybe showed "The Plan" to fifteen of my 200 or so contacts. But with the Internet, more and more companies are using MLM business models to a sell product while creating millionaires in their wake. The number of people now generating residual income is staggering. People are adding other people they don't even know to their "downlines" via the Internet nearly every day.

WANT TO JOIN ME AND MY FAMILY IN BELIZE?
I consider myself to be pretty darn good at marketing and sales. I know some pretty average people who, in less than a year, are generating $100,000 with little effort and time. And there are so many LEGITIMATE MLM and "affiliate" opportunities available, that, unless you are a recluse, you can't not succeed.

If you would like to learn how you can generate additional residual income for you and your family, email me at brian@btkmarketing.com. I'll even help you set up your first business that doesn't even require an investment on your part but will generate a 30 percent residual income the first year!

I promise that if you join me now, we will all vacation together in Belize in January of 2009. See you there!

No comments: