Saturday, February 7, 2009

Admitting What We Don't Know About Marketing

Face it. We're stumped. Marketing our businesses in today's economy is a challenge and a mystery. And it's time that we all admit that we really don't know what works - even those of us in marketing & advertising.

Every day I talk with business owners, sales professionals, financial planners, and friends. And every day I hear one more story about a business that is in T-R-O-U-B-L-E. I have a good friend who has always done very well in real estate. He's got about 30 days before his money runs out. I have another friend who owns a manufacturing facility in northern Ohio. His only goal right now is to do everything he can to keep his workers employed. And when my financial planner calls, I feel the need to console him and keep him from jumping out of his first floor window.

CAN YOU SAY, "DENIAL"?
I've also talked with a lot of people who are in denial. They are the ones that when you ask, "So, how's business?" They respond, "Awe, it's great. We're busy as hell. In fact, we're turning work away." But, when I dig a little deeper, they reveal that it's not that they are any busier...it's that they've cut corners either in quality, personnel or, GULP!, marketing. And sooner or later it's all going to come back around and snap them right in the ass.

BEYOND THE COMFORT ZONE
But the ones that are going to make it through are those who are now inviting me in to take a look at their marketing strategies and processes. They openly admit, "We have a marketing problem...what used to be effective isn't working. We need to try something new but we don't know where to start."

To be fair and honest, I have to admit that I'm not really sure right now either. The economy has rattled and baffled me. So much so that I've actually got two books sitting right here in front of me that I haven't read in years - "Marketing for Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Marketing Basics". I'm just looking for something...anything that will help me give assurance to my clients. For me and my clients, it's back to the basics.

TEN MARKETING TIPS YOU CAN TRY RIGHT NOW
So, now that we all admit what we don't know about marketing...what DO we know? Here are some things you need to be doing right now to make sure you win the battle for top-of-mind awareness with clients and prospects:

  1. DO NOT eliminate your marketing budget; be selective in the cuts you make
  2. Make sure your website is functioning and information is current
  3. Engage your current and past customers and reward them with discounts for repeat business
  4. Start a referral program and give cash/gift cards to clients, friends, and family that make referrals. Make sure to tell everyone about the program via your website, voicemail, flyers, business cards, direct mail, etc...
  5. Start a public relations/press release campaign
  6. Join a networking group. Visit several and choose the one that's right for you
  7. Get involved in online social networking sites like LinkedIn, Facebook, Plaxo and more.
  8. Listen to your customers. Ask them why they do business with you and ask for their input on improvements you could make
  9. Start a blog and write about topics related to your business - it's very therapeutic
  10. Find time to get away from your business to spend time with family & friends
For more information on how BTK & Associates can help you reset your marketing strategy, visit http://www.btkmarketing.com/ or call 317.696.6734.

No comments: