Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Exhibiting Your Business

You have a chance to put your business on display at a small business trade show or networking event. If you choose to participate as an exhibitor, you need to leverage that opportunity and turn it into a business generator.

In an earlier post, I discussed that I generally prefer to attend events rather than participating as an exhibitor. I am a strong networker and feel too confined standing behind a table. Besides, it's far more cost effective, in my opinion, to attend rather than exhibit. But if you enjoy exhibiting and want to build your prospect pipeline, there are things you can do to improve your response rate and get a better return on your investment.

Get a prime location
The front and back of the venue are undesirable. Register early and negotiate or pay for a key location somewhere in the middle or on an end. For first-come, first-serve events, it pays to arrive early and claim a key spot. Also, find out what the rules are for visual obstructions and noise. I've participated in some of the largest trade show events in the country and I appreciated that my neighbors could not obstruct my view, access to my booth or noise. If you feel that a neighbor is detracting from you, find a show manager and complain. If they don't solve the problem, ask to be moved or get your money back.

Invite people in
I don't like shows where people stand behind tables. I will often move the table to the back or remove it altogether. I want people to come into my space and out of the aisle. If you can get them to stop, you can have a deeper conversation and qualify them.

Keep it simple
You don't need to put all of your products on display. Sell yourself. If you sell insurance or pre-paid legal services and people aren't in the market for your product, they'll blow right past your table or booth. But, if you focus on selling yourself by making eye contact, greeting people and asking them what they do, they'll engage you.

Don't be a "Mr. Cheeseburger"
I worked a number of manufacturing trade shows for several years. There was one gentleman who was always at the same shows. His booth never had any traffic. Either he was in someone else's booth talking or telling jokes, or his was in his booth eating a cheeseburger or pizza. His appearance was sloppy and he always had grease stains on his shirt or tie. Hence the name we gave him..."Mr. Cheeseburger". Stay in your booth and be professional.

Business Card Raffles
DO NOT hold a business card raffle. If you are going to give something away, collect information that will help your business. I use a small entry form that explains that all information must be filled out to be eligible to win a prize. I ask for name, telephone number, business, email, website and mailing address. Then I ask them to check off products or services they would like to learn more about. Then I ask when they might be making a purchasing decision - now, 30 days, 60 days, 90 days or longer. I now have information that I can put into my contact management system.

Make them return to your booth or table
When I give something away, I always give away one prize every hour. I tell them I have a drawing at the top of the hour and that you must be present to win. I always get a crowd to gather just before the drawing. I draw an entry, look at it and say, "Before I announce the winner, I just want to remind you what my business is." I use this to give a 2-3 minute sales pitch. Then, I announce the winner. If there is no winner, I draw until I get a winner.

Promotional Giveaways
I'm not a big fan of handing out promotional items when I exhibit. But, if you are going to give something away, it needs to be something useful. As I write this, I can identify 14 items on my desk that I've gotten from companies at events. I have five pens, two coffee mugs, a thumb drive, a ruler, a couple of letter openers, a highlighter, a stress ball, and a floatable key chain. These are all things I use regularly.

Tag Team Approach
I've trained a lot of companies in trade show marketing. I always recommend a tag team approach. One person is the "scout" who engages people. The "scout" greets people and qualifies them. Once the scout determines that there is a fit, he/she introduces them to an "expert". The expert is the person/people who find out more about the prospect's needs and further qualifies the prospect. It's the expert's job to collect contact information and rate the quality of the opportunity.

Rating System
I rate every single prospect that I talk to. I use the A-F grading system. An "A" lead is one that I am confident will become a client/partner relationship. A "B" is a warm lead. "C" is a cool lead. A "D" or "F" are not worth following up.

Follow Up
Once the show is over, the work begins. You need to follow up every qualified lead. Sort your leads according to grade. Then, make immediate contact with the "A" and "B" leads while you are still fresh in their minds. Most people don't do a good job following up after exhibiting at a show or event. If you do, you'll be a step ahead of most of your competitors.

If you follow these simple tips, you'll be a better exhibitor and earn a better return on your marketing investment.

For more information about how BTK & Associates can help you become a better trade show and event marketer, visit www.btkmarketing.com or call 317.493.8964.

No comments: